Thursday, March 31, 2011

The blessing of an undefiled conscience (1. Cor 4:4)

For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord. (1.Cor 4:4)


What a blessing it is to be able to say “I don’t know of anything against myself”. It is a statement of complete rest. It is from this firm standing point that Paul can say, like he does in the previous verse, “You can think what you want about me, I don’t even care about my own opinion”. If you are able to make this statement, there are only two possible explanations. You’ve either deceived yourself to a point where your conscience is completely dead, or you’ve been cleansed by the blood of Christ.

Paul is not making this claim from a pharisaic standpoint, as one who has redefined and twisted the law to fit with his lifestyle. Nor did he make it from a standpoint of sinless perfection. This is the same man, after all, who claimed the title of chief of sinners.

So what is Paul saying here? The same thing as every Christian should be able to say. I don’t know of any past sin that I haven’t brought before Christ and been granted forgiveness for. And I don’t know of any present sin that I am not battling to the full extent of my capabilities. My soul is resting before God. I’m not hiding anything from him, and there’s no area of my life that I’m trying to keep him out of. Yes, I am a wretch, but all my faults are in God’s hands.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...