Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I don't care what you think about this blog post (1.Cor 4:3)

But to me it is a very small thing that I may be examined by you, or by any human court; in fact, I do not even examine myself. (1.Cor 4:3)

What people think...
At first glance it seems almost arrogant of Paul to make a statement like this. In essence what he says is “I don’t care what you think of my service to God”. Wouldn’t it be more appropriate for Paul to welcome the accountability of his brethren?

There is a time for accountability, but accountability before men is subordinate to accountability to God. And when you obey God, you will inevitably have men taking on the role of God and examining your work, not by God’s standard, but by their own.

I’m sure you’re able to see the difference if you put it in a workplace context. When my boss sits me down in his office for my annual employee evaluation, then he does it as one who has authority over me. And whenever he walks into my office with some job for me I’ll do it, no questions asked.

Now every once in a while one of my colleagues may have an opinion of the quality of my work, or they will tell me I should be doing something else than what I’m doing. Some times that is helpful, but only insofar as their input is consistent with what my boss has told me to do. If the cleaning lady comes to my office and tells me she has a burden for cleaner bathroom mirrors, and that I should look into that, I’ll feel free to ignore her. Because I know that’s not my job, and if I used my work time to do other things than what my boss hired me to do he would be displeased.

It is not arrogant for Paul to say it’s a small thing to be examined or judged by his fellow servants. He’s not employed by them, and he’s not about to act like he is.

What you yourself think...
Not only does Paul put little emphasis on other’s opinion of him, but he doesn’t even care what he thinks himself. Some times we may not see the benefit or wisdom in what God has us doing. We’re in a season where we do not see any increase. Does that mean we’re not doing what we should?

Maybe, but not necessarily. Paul had an undefiled conscience before God, and that allowed him the luxury of saying “I don’t care how my work looks to you, in fact I don’t even care how it looks to me, because I know I’ve done what I was told to do by God.”

1 comment:

  1. Excellent thoughts. What people think about us does not really matter, to a certain degree. If God be for us, no man can be against us!

    Thanks for posting. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...