Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Overcome evil with good

"Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord. "BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." Rom 12:19-21
I recently had the most exquisite joy of doing an unexpected favor, requiring a minor sacrifice on my part, for someone who's been falsely accusing me and talking about me behind my back. And I was amazed and delighted to see the mouth that's been bashing me shut under the power of God's goodness.

I cannot fully describe the satisfaction of it, but it far surpassed any satisfaction I could have ever derived from taking my own revenge. And the effect of all my attempts to defend myself combined was negligible in comparison to the effect of a simple act of Christian kindness.

Never take your own revenge, beloved. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to note something interesting: When it says, "coals on their heads", it is not speaking inflicting pain on them. In the olden days, that was done for a specific disease or something like that. So, it means it will help them.

    Thanks for writing. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting, Joel. I've never heard that before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father told me that; and, it does make sense. I will try to find some references for it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...