Friday, April 1, 2011

The dangers of an indifferent conscience (1.Cor 4:4)


For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord. (1.Cor 4:4)
Paul is not aware of any past or present sin that he has not brought before God, and that is an exceedingly restful position to be in. However, cultivating godliness and intimacy with God is not the only way to get there. There is another way, properly labeled antinomianism. You know what anti means, and nomos means law in Greek, so the word would describe those who are against the law. Those who accuse anyone who is obedient to the commands of God of being a legalist.

The antinomian would say along with Paul, I know of nothing against myself. After all Jesus died to forgive me all of my sins, so I can indulge in whatever I would like. We’re free from the law. “What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?” (Rom 6:1) The  antinomian would say “sure, why not?” Christ shed his blood to free them from the power of sin, and they see it as an occasion to increase their sin.

So here we have Paul, the obedient servant with a good conscience, and the antinomian with a dead conscience, both making the same claim. “I know nothing against myself”. Are they thereby acquitted? “No”, Paul says.The one who examines us it the Lord. We can not acquit ourselves. We can not declare ourselves to be right with God because we feel like we are. God is our judge, and we need to withstand his scrutiny.

1 comment:

  1. Amen. And if God is for us, no man can stand against us.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...