Sunday, February 28, 2010

Selecting a webhost

The choice of a webhost is one I've made multiple times, and I've always landed on the same one: One.com. I've also recommended it to several of my friends for their web projects. Some reasons why:
  • They're cheap. I pay around NOK 220 (EUR 27, USD 37) per year, which covers a 3 GB web host, and the annual domain fee.
  • They're stable. I've never caught any of my websites down.
  • They offer unlimited traffic with every hosting option
  • They do all the setup for you, since you order the domain name and the web hosting as one pack.
So are there any reasons to pick another host then?
  • One.com does not offer domains and hosting sold separately. So if you want to attach another domain name to your existing site, try GoDaddy.com in stead.
  • If you depend on the email addresses attached to the domain. One.com seems to have a never-ending issue with their mail servers, and they can be ridiculously slow some times.
  • If you want to use ASP, and MSSQL. One.com offers exclusively PHP and MySQL on the server side.
None of these reasons applied to me though, so I went with One.com again for my Expositor's Bible project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...