Thursday, August 4, 2011

Listen, then Speak

If one gives an answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame. (Prov 18:13)
How quick are you to voice your opinion in matters of doctrine, morals or politics? The public debate of our day is  replete with strongly held, yet poorly thought through opinions, voiced with great aggression. Sadly, Christian debate is no exception. I say "sadly" because being quick to speak and quick to anger is a mark of ungodliness. We are commanded to be the opposite: Slow to speak and slow to anger (Jas 1:19)

I recall my first steps into christian online debate forums around a decade ago. Full of self-confidence I would revile against anyone who held differing doctrinal understandings on issues like baptism, the ministry of the Holy Spirit, or forms of worship. I was shocked to find that those who were older and wiser than me were able to destroy my arguments with the greatest ease. Why? Because I hadn't thought it through. I was just parroting what I'd heard other people say. And I really hadn't taken the time to understand the position of those who disagreed with me. No wonder then, that every arrow I fired at them seemed to miss.

While I've revised some of my opinions since then, most of them still remain the same. My problem was not that I was wrong. My problem was a lack of thoughtfulness. I was quick to speak, but I was not wise. I would have done well to heed the advice of the Bible; If you just shut up, people won't know you're stupid.
Whoever restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding. Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent. (Prov 17:27-28)
There is a time to speak, but before that time ever comes around there is a time to be quiet and just listen, so that you can gain understanding and wisdom. And if you get this order wrong, you will almost certainly end up looking like a fool.

3 comments:

  1. Good post Ruben. I don't know if you had something in particular in mind, but all the flack John MacArthur is catching (recently) comes to mind. I think most of his detractors are well-intentioned but just need a few more years maturity and experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marla. Actually when I wrote this I wasn't really very aware of that whole controversy. But in retrospect I guess it fits :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...