Thursday, March 25, 2010

Does this picture offend you?

As a child, I remember watching, with great facination, a TV show about heart transplants. In spite of the degree of blood and gore, nobody felt that I needed to be shielded from that. I didn't feel particularly violated by it either. And I don't carry with me any lifelong scars from the experience.

This picture shows a kidney. If you browsed by this post with your child sitting on your lap, I doubt that you would feel any need to hastily cover their eyes while you browse away from it. If I put this picture on a sign, or on the side of a truck to protest kidney transplants, I doubt i would create much disgust among the general public. Although we usually prefer kidneys to be inside of our bodies, this picture simply isn't offensive enough to create any puplic outrage.

But what if it was a fetus?

Many try pass aborition off as just another surgical procedure where a piece of tissue is removed from a womans body. If that is true, than why would a picture of that piece of tissue offend you more than the picture if this piece of tissue?

Maybe because no matter how much we are able to decieve our minds there is something in out guts that says that piece of tissue is not much different than the piece of tissue I call my body. It's not a kindney, it's not an appendix, it's a murder victim.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...